Sunday, June 12, 2016

Today I am sad

The whole situation in Orlando has had me crying all day. Crying because of the hate I've seen. And crying because of the love I've also seen.

This was a hate crime. Pure and simple.

I don't care what religion the murderer was raised in. I don't care about the supposed 911 call or that ISIS is supposedly claiming responsibility. I think that whole bit is just a ruse. I really doubt that call exists. ISIS wants Americans to hate Muslims so they can recruit more members. They will take credit for anything that will cause more hate.

This is about a small minded bigot that got ahold of an assault weapon legally and used it to kill people at a gay bar because he hated gay people. Some are claiming that the CIA has had this guy under watch for years. And yet he got a gun designed to kill people. That is it's only use. To kill people. No one uses this kind of gun to hunt anything other than people. Congress voted to continue to allow people on no fly lists to keep buying guns because of the 2nd amendment and certain people being unable to admit that some people just don't need to own a gun.

People are going to use his religion as an excuse for why he did this. The truth is most major religions can be twisted to condone this sort of action. How many so called Christian leaders have called for the death of LGBT persons? I've seen all sorts of religions used for hate.But we can't blame the whole religion for it. Not every Muslim is a radical. Not every Christian is part of the problem.

I long for the day when I don't have to fear that the wrong person might realize I'm not really the straight person they assume I am. I've never identified as straight. I used to say I was bi. And then i went out in the world and realized there was more than just two genders. There are many many kinds of people. Now I identify as Pan. Simply put, I'm attracted to whomever might strike my fancy and then everything else is negotiable. It doesn't much matter if a person's genitalia matches the gender that they present. Doesn't really matter if either of those match the DNA they were born with.

Most people assume I'm straight because I'm shy and have never made a big deal about it when I've dated women. Mostly because I know my parents are very homophobic. Oh my mom can talk a good game like she is tolerant. But the one time a conversation got back to her that I had been with a woman and holy shit did she got into the whole "how could you do this to me?!?!" As if who I sleep with has anything to do with her.

But now I'm no contact with my dad and I only talk to my mom if I run into her in a store. I don't have to worry about the looks or the lectures. I am who I am and I don't give a shit.

No comments: