Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The price of knitting

On the knit list, there has been a big discussion going on about how much to charge people for knitting projects for them.

I no longer sell any of my projects. I have crocheted a few afghans for people I worked with. They were fairly simple afghans and I was paid about $120 each for them. They were made using good old Red Heart yarn. Yeah I know. hehe But in my defense, I live in the armpit of Iowa. 90 miles away from the nearest store that carries wool yarn. Hell this was back before we had a Michael's or Hobby Lobby even.

I had tried to sell refridgerator towels at garage sales for $6 a set. No one would pay that much because it was a garage sale and they wanted their shit cheap. I only make these for my mom now. I don't have anywhere to hang them in my kitchen. hehe My fridge doesn't have a handle on it, just a groove in the side of the door.

I crocheted an afghan for my father using the afghan stitch. I designed the blanket myself and had a friend graph the image for me. It is huge and very heavy. It has Jeff Gordon's name on it, his number 24 and the nascar logo. I detest Gordon, so every minute of making this blanket sucked the soul right out of me. hehe

My dad keeps trying to get me to put the blanket up on eBay. I've told him that no one would ever pay how much I would charge for it. He says to start the bidding at $200. Yeah, whatever. I wouldn't sell if for less than $350. And I'm sorry, no one is payin that much for a blanket that I made like 2 yrs ago and that has been washed at least 10 times. If he keeps it up, I'm taking the blanket away and giving it to my son.

Now I need to go take a shower and take a nap. I'm one pooped chicky.

No comments: