Thursday, June 21, 2007

So far so good

I made it to the interview ok this morning. No thanks to the wacked out weather in Iowa. When I woke this morning at the ungodly hour of 6am, it was storming outside. By the time we left it was a torrential downpour. And I had to stop for gas. And the card reader at the pump wouldn't read my card. lol

I dropped the kid at my folk's house and made it to the store with 10 mins to spare. I sat in the car for about 5 mins listening to the radio and the rain finally stopped. I ended up having to wait 10 mins inside. Thankfully they had a radio playing. Unfortunately it was country music. Not my favorite.

I don't think I did too bad, but I totally loath interviews. They ask questions that frankly I find hard to answer. I was granted a second interview tomorrow morning with the lady that does the training. And I did come up with an answer to one of the questions that I stumbled on. If it comes up again, I'll mention what I came up with. The question was about coming up with something you did for an employer that saved money or time for them. Turns out I did actually do something like that last year, but I'm a lil slow and didn't think of it til later.

It was a simple idea but it did get a thank you out of the supervisor. I was working in a bindery. I worked on a shrink wrap machine where different books or books with inserts and cds are shrink wrapped and labeled prior to shipping. Mostly for schools and for college bookstores. Anyways, they purchased this super expensive new machine where the books are placed on a short roller line that feeds to the front of the machine. A person stands there and picks up the books and puts them on the conveyor system to go into the machine to be wrapped. Well, some of the books are soft cover or spiral bound. They didn't roll down the rollers evenly and many times they fell in between the rollers. This caused the machine to be shut down because there were no books in reach to put on the conveyor.

Anyone that has been in a bindery knows that the different sections of a book are held together with pieces of wood on each end and then a tie is put around them. There was always a piles of these wood pieces, which are squares of ply-wood, near the shrink wrap machine. I told the machine operator that I didn't care if she liked the idea or not, I was going to put the books on top of the wood and put the wood on the rollers. The wood pieces fit perfectly on the rollers and didn't tip in between them. So, no matter how large the books are that are put on them or how flimsy they are, they rolled right now the line with no problem. And I know for a fact that the company still uses them.

Not brain surgery by any means. But it had been driving the operator and the mechanics crazy trying to adjust the roller system so that the books wouldn't fall between the rollers. I suppose that if I hadn't of been a temporary employee, I might have gotten a bonus of some sort. In actuality, I got let go a couple weeks later because of a very very annoying person that finally got me to yell at her. Oh well.

But anyways, I have another interview tomorrow. They are really looking for people that want to work the weekends. That is really the shift that I want because I won't really have to pay for day care and I'll only have to work 3 days a week.

Now, I'm off to work on the shawls. I really need to kick it in the ass cause I am way behind the rest of the group in both of them.

1 comment:

FaeryCrafty said...

Hot dog!! 2nd interview is a great sign!